As expected there were attacks on the day’s final categorised climb at Annifo, with Henao enlivening a tricky run-in on slick roads. Tom Dumoulin (Team Sunweb) was among the riders caught out, with the defending champion making his way back to the bunch following a crash.
Froome now sits 10th overall, 2:30 back on the maglia rosa of Simon Yates (Mitchelton-Scott).
Following his late attack Henao talked us through the day. He told TeamSky.com: “Obviously It has been a long and hard day since the beginning of the stage. Just a day after the rest day it’s a big shock for the body. These rest days are always very dangerous, all the more with a race like today, on a very long stage. But it’s cycling. Now it’s time to rest and think about tomorrow.
“It was a complicated run-in and the rain made it more dangerous. I’ve tried to go for the stage victory but it’s hard. Anyway, I’ve tried.”
Stage 10 result:
1. Matej Mohoric (Bahrain Merida) 6:04:52
2. Nico Denz (AG2R La Mondiale) s.t.
3. Sam Bennett (Bora-Hansgrohe) +34"
4. Enrico Battaglin (LottoNL-Jumbo) s.t.
5. Davide Ballerini (Androni - Sidermec - Bottecchia) s.t.
15. Chris Froome (Team Sky) s.t.
1. Simon Yates (Mitchelton-Scott) 43:42:38
2. Tom Dumoulin (Team Sunweb) +16”
3. Thibaut Pinot (Groupama-FDJ) +46”
4. Domenico Pozzovivo (Bahrain Merida) +1'00”
5. Richard Carapaz (Movistar) +1'23”
10. Chris Froome (Team Sky) +2’30"